No fap and continence?
Wanted to know what you think about this? A lot of people advise it but people like Willhelm Reich seemed to think you have to have a lot of sex? http://selfdefinition.org/celibacy/berna...idence.htm
(10-01-2016, 11:00 PM)Arborescence Wrote: Wanted to know what you think about this? A lot of people advise it but people like Willhelm Reich seemed to think you have to have a lot of sex? http://selfdefinition.org/celibacy/berna...idence.htm

My sense is that a meaningful relationship with a loved one can be an indication of metabolic health. 

Conversely, one's interest in addictive or compulsive behaviour should wane at the same time as metabolic health improves.
Wilhelm Reich did not advocate limitless sexual indulgence
http://www.orgonomy.org/articles/Baker/S..._Reich.pdf
He had very interesting ideas on the subject however, which might help you.

I have been practicing brahmacharya for many years. I think it's integral to any yoga practice, but, I don't really notice any bad effects (outside of meditation) when I experimented with stopping.
It was very different when I was hypothyroid though; I would immediately feel the familiar effects of serotonin/estrogen/prolactin, whenever i had sex, regardless of if it was with a partner or not. It's probably related to urea/zinc/glucose/fructose, and endotoxinemia from lowered immunity.
I think it's best to keep as low as possible while you're hypothyroid, although the estrogen makes this more difficult. Meditating is good for doing this; if you want something basic, you can look up Jon-kabat zinn's mindfullness guides, they're usually on youtube; it will introduce you to insight meditation.
(11-01-2016, 03:25 PM)huxleyan_dialectics Wrote: Wilhelm Reich did not advocate unlimited indulgence in sex;
He has very interesting ideas on the subject however, which might help you.

I have been practicing brahmacharya for many years. I think it's integral to any yoga practice, but, I don't really notice any bad effects (outside  of meditation) when I experimented with stopping.
It was very different when I was hypothyroid though; I would  immediately felt the effects of serotonin/estrogen/prolactin, whenever i indulged, regardless of if it was with myself or a partner. It's probably related to urea/zinc/glucose/fructose (Especially that which is used during the act), and endotoxinemia from lowered immunity.
I think it's best to keep as low as possible while you're hypothyroid, although the estrogen makes this more difficult. Meditating is good for doing this; if you want something basic, you can look up Jon-kabat zinn's mindfullness guides, they're usually on youtube; it will introduce you to insight meditation.

I would add that the hypothyroid or stress condition seems to vary for me throughout the day, and even within diurnal cycles of about 90 minutes or so. It seems to be linked to motility in the gut, which may also have a diurnal cycle. 

For me, there often comes a feeling of stress within this 90 minute cycle, which is accompanied by a reduction of thyroid activity, depending on how much food I've eaten recently.

Digesta that remains in the lower gut intensifies the stress, as does eating food that is not quickly digested in the upper gut. 

Reduced breathing (or high CO2 from other means) helps, as do rectal infusions of coffee and salt.
(11-01-2016, 03:25 PM)huxleyan_dialectics Wrote: Wilhelm Reich did not advocate unlimited indulgence in sex;
He has very interesting ideas on the subject however, which might help you.

I have been practicing brahmacharya for many years. I think it's integral to any yoga practice, but, I don't really notice any bad effects (outside  of meditation) when I experimented with stopping.
It was very different when I was hypothyroid though; I would  immediately feel the effects of serotonin/estrogen/prolactin, whenever i had sex, regardless of if it was with a partner or not. It's probably related to urea/zinc/glucose/fructose (Especially that which is used during the act), and endotoxinemia from lowered immunity.

Very interesting, thanks! I've tried brahmacharya for 2 years straight and even reached kundalini states (could feel my retas transformed into ojas), but when my life became stressful and my health declined, I could not meditate as long, and having no sexual life became quite stressful as well.

On the contrary, I've noticed that even soft masturbation seems to inflamme my penis, I don't know if that's because my vascular system is more or less damaged. Putting some lapodin on it after seems to help. I'm not really hypothyroid anymore.
Awesome link.

Then you have the phenomenon of sex transmutation.

I think this (continence) would go hand in hand with that (transmutation).
(11-03-2016, 11:22 AM)halken Wrote: Awesome link.

Yeah, I've wondered if there are some scientific research about it. I've clearly felt my semen being transformed as electricity when I had kundalini experiences with abstinence.
(11-03-2016, 11:47 AM)Arborescence Wrote:
(11-03-2016, 11:22 AM)halken Wrote: Awesome link.

Yeah, I've wondered if there are some scientific research about it. I've clearly felt my semen being transformed as electricity when I had kundalini experiences with abstinence.

Be very careful with kundalini. If you don't have a long history of meditation practice, these energies can easily overwhelm the mind.

The same goes for the transmutation-related tao practices, such as those taught by mantak chia, they are even more dangerous and can lead to serious mental-physical problems if not practiced wisely.
Also worth mentioning that a deranged hormonal system probably contributes as well, which would cause higher levels of post-coital prolactin and estrogen
Though I reject the NoFap cult, continence is of serious importance that repairs the hormonal system. The neuroses of craving for ejaculation is part of the cycle of a "deranged" hormonal system.
Continence is not the same as celibacy of course, so what you mentioned about Tao and kundalini is a different matter altogether.