What to take with natural eggshell supplement?
Soft tissue calcification/fibrosis seems to be the the genesis of many chronic conditions we observe in the Western world: arthritis, myocardial ischemia, "male pattern baldness", osteoporosis (inversely). As I understand it, the calcium paradox is that soft tissue calcification actually occurs from insufficient calcium, where the body is left to break down its own tissues (bone) to support cellular respiration and regeneration elsewhere in the body. Supporting that claim, there seems to be a correlation between many of these conditions; if you have one, you are more likely to have another.

However, some claim that calcium insufficiency isn't actually the problem in the Western diet. And if you're consuming enough magnesium, vitamin D, etc. to properly absorb the calcium in your diet, the various "diseases" would also not be an issue. Both stand to reason, and certainly vary depending on the situation.

I myself have been taking calcium supplements (~tablespoon of ground up eggshell) for roughly two months. I notice if I take it without food, my stomach becomes upset. I also notice that when I take it, I get a brief, euphoric kick.

Now, my inquiry is a vain one. As I've been losing my hair for ~5 years, I've been in search of a "cure". That's how I found Danny Roddy. And he is how I found Ray Peat. While my metabolic interests have fanned out into many other realms now, the primary interest is still preserving my hair follicles.

That said, what are all your thoughts on eggshell calcium? How much do you all take? Do you have any strong opinions on how it should be consumed?
(11-15-2016, 01:58 AM)ManeTain Wrote: Soft tissue calcification/fibrosis seems to be the the genesis of many chronic conditions we observe in the Western world: arthritis, myocardial ischemia, "male pattern baldness", osteoporosis (inversely). As I understand it, the calcium paradox is that soft tissue calcification actually occurs from insufficient calcium, where the body is left to break down its own tissues (bone) to support cellular respiration and regeneration elsewhere in the body. Supporting that claim, there seems to be a correlation between many of these conditions; if you have one, you are more likely to have another.

However, some claim that calcium insufficiency isn't actually the problem in the Western diet. And if you're consuming enough magnesium, vitamin D, etc. to properly absorb the calcium in your diet, the various "diseases" would also not be an issue. Both stand to reason, and certainly vary depending on the situation.

I myself have been taking calcium supplements (~tablespoon of ground up eggshell) for roughly two months. I notice if I take it without food, my stomach becomes upset. I also notice that when I take it, I get a brief, euphoric kick.

Now, my inquiry is a vain one. As I've been losing my hair for ~5 years, I've been in search of a "cure". That's how I found Danny Roddy. And he is how I found Ray Peat. While my metabolic interests have fanned out into many other realms now, the primary interest is still preserving my hair follicles.

That said, what are all your thoughts on eggshell calcium? How much do you all take? Do you have any strong opinions on how it should be consumed?

Yes, I find eggshell (calcium carbonate), sodium and potassium bicarbonate powder and magnesium bicarbonate (liquid) are safe and inexpensive to supplement. 

I try to do small amounts, spread out over the course of the day, that will add in total to a tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate, a half tablespoon of potassium bicarbonate (3 grams potassium), a cup of magnesium bicarbonate (1 gram magnesium) and about a teaspoon of calcium carbonate/eggshell (1 gram calcium).

A tablespoon of eggshell would be too much for me (3 grams of calcium).  But I have a good bit a dairy in my diet. Maybe if I had no dairy at all, I might need more eggshell, I don't know.

I also use quite a bit of salt to taste. Yes, Vitamin D and progesterone help me a lot, too.

Hair follicles I find respond to antihistamines. It seems to be excess sebum in the scalp that blocks the follicle as a result of histamine reactions. As close as I can tell, the histamine response comes from the gut, and from hyperventilating. 

Topically, I find it helps to wash sebum from the scalp thoroughly, several times a day, with a solution of DMSO, urea, aspirin, cascara and strong coffee.  I don't cut my hair and it grows quite long. I observe hair closely as a sign of overall good metabolic health.
(11-15-2016, 03:05 AM)VoS Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 01:58 AM)ManeTain Wrote: Soft tissue calcification/fibrosis seems to be the the genesis of many chronic conditions we observe in the Western world: arthritis, myocardial ischemia, "male pattern baldness", osteoporosis (inversely). As I understand it, the calcium paradox is that soft tissue calcification actually occurs from insufficient calcium, where the body is left to break down its own tissues (bone) to support cellular respiration and regeneration elsewhere in the body. Supporting that claim, there seems to be a correlation between many of these conditions; if you have one, you are more likely to have another.

Yes, I find eggshell (calcium carbonate), sodium and potassium bicarbonate powder and magnesium bicarbonate (liquid) are safe and inexpensive to supplement. 

I try to do small amounts, spread out over the course of the day, that will add in total to a tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate, a half tablespoon of potassium bicarbonate (3 grams potassium), a cup of magnesium bicarbonate (1 gram magnesium) and about a teaspoon of calcium carbonate/eggshell (1 gram calcium).

A tablespoon of eggshell would be too much for me (3 grams of calcium).  But I have a good bit a dairy in my diet. Maybe if I had no dairy at all, I might need more eggshell, I don't know.

I also use quite a bit of salt to taste. Yes, Vitamin D and progesterone help me a lot, too.

Hair follicles I find respond to antihistamines. It seems to be excess sebum in the scalp that blocks the follicle as a result of histamine reactions. As close as I can tell, the histamine response comes from the gut, and from hyperventilating. 

Topically, I find it helps to wash sebum from the scalp thoroughly, several times a day, with a solution of DMSO, urea, aspirin, cascara and strong coffee.  I don't cut my hair and it grows quite long. I observe hair closely as a sign of overall good metabolic health.

I definitely agree that the hair, along with skin, are pretty quick superficial reflections of metabolic health. Like many of us, my initial interest in metabolic health was spurned by a health issue. In my case that was hair loss, irritability, difficulty sleeping, low sex drive- lots of thinks you wouldn't expect of a guy in his early 20's. I made the mistake of getting on medications to attempt to resolve it, which it didn't even do.

Anyways, I don't tolerate dairy well, so I need different calcium sources. I eat leafy greens roughly twice a day, which provides a decent amount of magnesium to go along with the calcium I get from both diet and egg shell supplement. I do worry somewhat that I am overconsuming calcium, without appropriately providing complementary minerals to aid in absorption. I have a strong inclination that baldness is caused by soft tissue calcification due to poor calcium absorption.

Overall, I'd like to avoid supplements. I think nature does a pretty good job providing complementary vitamins/minerals in it's natural "packaging". Vitamin D is just a tough one to come by as I live in the upper Midwest of the US and my only real source is eggs. I may need to consider a vit D supplement.
Regarding hair, two things: firstly i notice the feel off my hair change within half an hour of taking enough t3.

Secondly i think pelvic floor/weak abdominals / gastroparesis may be an overlooked factor im digestive complaints, at least for me. I think pelvic floor problems are becoming quite common. When i have the worst pelvic floor symptoms i have the worst scalp itch and burning. Topical vitamin a and caffiene, amd urea in lower concentrations, but not DMSO seem to help. I also use tsal shampoo. Forgive thread hijack.
[color=#222222][size=medium]"I have no religion, no political affiliation: I believe in me, above everything else." -Chasing Good & Evil[/size][/color]
Yeah DMSO is a tough one, lots of people with allergies, more than you think.
Preparing your own eggshell supplement is damaging on the gut, at least it has been my experience. I'm using Now Foods Calcium Carbonate and it seems to work well.
You can have the advantage to discuss the different things on the forum about the diseases that are common. More likely it’s noticed that review of grammarly is helping term in assisting the different options.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eggshell Calcium and Thyroid Supplement ChasingGoodandEvil 0 1,313 06-24-2016, 03:48 AM
Last Post: ChasingGoodandEvil