Ray Peat Forums
How to even further lower my PUFA intake. - Printable Version

+- Ray Peat Forums (http://www.raypeatforums.org)
+-- Forum: Metabolic Health (http://www.raypeatforums.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Metabolic Discussion (http://www.raypeatforums.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: How to even further lower my PUFA intake. (/showthread.php?tid=482)

How to even further lower my PUFA intake. - Reaper242xxx - 09-30-2018

Hey I'm a regular (viewer, not commenter) over at the other forum. Just found this place today. I'm wondering how I could possibly lower my PUFA intake even lower then I already got it. I here people on the forum saying they can get under 1 gram of polyunsaturated fat in a entire day. How is this possible? I'll lay out my regime to give you an idea.

Daily intake of fats:
64oz of milk (1% milk with added sugar and salt) = 0.6 grams of PUFA
1 large egg (hen fed insect diet, fried in a 1/2 tbsp. of butter) = about 1.2 grams of PUFA (factoring in the butter)
3oz of colby cheese = about 0.9 grams of PUFA
2 tbsp. of coconut oil = 0.5 grams of PUFA

I've averaged that I'm consuming somewhere around 3.2 grams of polyunsaturated fat on a daily basis. This is not including supplemental foods I eat on a weekly (not daily) basis. I eat about 10oz of grassfed beef liver and a 8oz serving of oysters weekly. I also eat an additional 3lbs of ruminant meat weekly (mainly hamburger and oxtail). I figured I'm meeting Ray's criteria for under 4 grams of PUFA daily, however given the fact rats appear hypermetabolic on a PUFA free diet lower can always be slightly better. Plus I've heard of actual people getting under a 1 gram a day (unless they're lying). How could I possibly cut back more without sacrificing nutrient density? Also I've recently quit my desiccated thyroid. I'm trying to come off of it for good. I'm having reasonable fair success. Between my daily supplementation of thiamine, niacinamide, magnesium, aspirin, and red light I've been clocking about 98.2 degrees. Pretty good when taking into consideration I was barely cracking 96 without thyroid a year ago. I'm thinking if I can push my PUFA just a little bit lower I could reach that mid 98 range.

RE: How to even further lower my PUFA intake. - ChasingGoodandEvil - 09-30-2018

(09-30-2018, 09:20 PM)Reaper242xxx Wrote: Hey I'm a regular (viewer, not commenter) over at the other forum. Just found this place today. I'm wondering how I could possibly lower my PUFA intake even lower then I already got it. I here people on the forum saying they can get under 1 gram of polyunsaturated fat in a entire day. How is this possible? I'll lay out my regime to give you an idea.

Daily intake of fats:
1 large egg (hen fed insect diet, fried in a 1/2 tbsp. of butter) = about 1.2 grams of PUFA (factoring in the butter)

I've averaged that I'm consuming somewhere around 3.2 grams of polyunsaturated fat on a daily basis. This is not including supplemental foods I eat on a weekly (not daily) basis. I eat about 10oz of grassfed beef liver and a 8oz serving of oysters weekly. I also eat an additional 3lbs of ruminant meat weekly (mainly hamburger and oxtail). I figured I'm meeting Ray's criteria for under 4 grams of PUFA daily, however given the fact rats appear hypermetabolic on a PUFA free diet lower can always be slightly better. Plus I've heard of actual people getting under a 1 gram a day (unless they're lying). How could I possibly cut back more without sacrificing nutrient density? Also I've recently quit my desiccated thyroid. I'm trying to come off of it for good. I'm having reasonable fair success. Between my daily supplementation of thiamine, niacinamide, magnesium, aspirin, and red light I've been clocking about 98.2 degrees. Pretty good when taking into consideration I was barely cracking 96 without thyroid a year ago. I'm thinking if I can push my PUFA just a little bit lower I could reach that mid 98 range.

This is a great tasting brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. Ray has endorsed hydrogenated coconut oil in general, as in animal studies the animals live longest on hydrogenated coconut oil. This brand is very tasty. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DUGQJGA?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

RE: How to even further lower my PUFA intake. - Reaper242xxx - 10-01-2018

(09-30-2018, 09:57 PM)ChasingGoodandEvil Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 09:20 PM)Reaper242xxx Wrote: Hey I'm a regular (viewer, not commenter) over at the other forum. Just found this place today. I'm wondering how I could possibly lower my PUFA intake even lower then I already got it. I here people on the forum saying they can get under 1 gram of polyunsaturated fat in a entire day. How is this possible? I'll lay out my regime to give you an idea.

Daily intake of fats:

This is a great tasting brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. Ray has endorsed hydrogenated coconut oil in general, as in animal studies the animals live longest on hydrogenated coconut oil. This brand is very tasty. 

Doesn't hydrogenated oils have trans fat in them?

RE: How to even further lower my PUFA intake. - ChasingGoodandEvil - 10-01-2018

(10-01-2018, 12:38 AM)Reaper242xxx Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 09:57 PM)ChasingGoodandEvil Wrote:

Daily intake of fats:

Doesn't hydrogenated oils have trans fat in them?

They're completely hydrogenated, but even if they were i think ray has said trans fats are still better than pufa

RE: How to even further lower my PUFA intake. - Mittir - 10-01-2018

I think you can eliminate egg and replace it with small amount of daily liver.
Liver has all the nutrients of egg and more with very little PUFA.
Colby can be replaced by farmer's cheese ,greek yogurt or non fat soft cheese.
Based on that you are getting 1.1 grams of PUFA from milk and coconut oil.

As previous poster mentioned, fully hydrogenated oils do not have any
trans fat. Trans fats are mono unsaturated fat and fully hydrogenated
fats are 100% saturated fat. I have seen studies that found heavy metal
in hydrogenated oils. The amount should be lower in fully hydrogenated
coconut oil since they only have to convert 13% of unsaturated fat to
saturated unlike 84% in soybean oil. It is safer to check studies on
hydrogenated coconut oil if there is any excess amount of heavy metal.